Those words stop us in our tracks. We frown and cross our arms. Windows 8.1 looks weird. There isn’t a Start button. Why can’t we close a program? We just don’t like it and it’s too much work to figure out something so radically different.
Windows 8.1 is here to stay, but it doesn’t have to be your enemy! With four simple steps and some patience, you and Windows 8.1 can start working together to restore peace to your digital life.
Step 1: Understand that Windows 8.1 was designed for tablets
- Start Screen = Metro Apps take up entire screen; you close them and return to the Start Screen (Just like a tablet)
- Desktop = Desktop Programs open in their own window on the Desktop; you close them and return to the Desktop.
For a great example of the differences between the Metro App and the Desktop Program, open both of the Calculator programs.
Step 2: Determine what type of user you are
- Consumer = Read email, watch videos, listen to music and browse the web. Metro Apps are for you. There are no Creator tasks Metro Apps.
- Creator = Write blogs, complete tax returns, and edit photos. Desktop programs are for you. You can also use Desktop programs to perform most Consumer tasks.
Most of us are both types of users, and it’s okay to use a combination of Metro Apps and Desktop programs.
Step 3: Customize your Start Screen
- Unpin the unwanted Metro Apps or Desktop Programs from your Start Screen
- Pin the wanted Desktop Programs or Metro Apps to your Start Screen
You only have to see the programs you want to use! I don’t like the Metro Apps so there are none on my Start Screen.
Step 4: Get Help
These first steps are the bare bones of getting along with Windows 8.1 You could survive with what you’ve learned, or start exploring using the resources below.
- Check out Windows 8.1 tutorials from Microsoft. This was how I started understanding Windows 8.1.
- Google! Type your question into the search bar and see what others have to say.
Have you found a great resource you could share? Add it to the comments or on our Facebook page!
[/text_output][/container][gap size=”1.313em”][prompt type=”left” button_icon=”lightbulb-o” target=”blank” title=”Need more Windows 8.1 tips?” message=”Check out my handy Understanding & Customizing Windows 8.1 tip sheet!” button_text=”Get Tips Now!” href=”http://eepurl.com/bc2OrL”][/vc_column][/vc_row]